Friday, July 25, 2008

Spa Swindled


Spa dermatology is on the rise, and while I generally think it's a great concept, I found out the hard way this week that it can have its drawbacks. I went in to a new dermatologist, who practices in a med-spa-like facility, to see what I could do about a pesky rash I have on my arms. He suggested a glycolic peel. I assumed that it--like my visit that day--was covered by insurance, and the dermatologist never mentioned otherwise, so I agreed. Well, when I went to pay my co-pay after the visit, I was informed that I owed several hundred dollars for the glycolic peel!! Needless to say, I was furious--if not illegal, it seems extremely unethical to not disclose fees up front. I won't be going back to that dermatologist again ... lesson learned.

No comments: