Tuesday, May 6, 2008

SPF: What's Good Enough?

Okay, there's no doubt facial SPF is a must, especially if you want to stave off wrinkles (yes, please!). But when I read recommendations saying women simply *must* slather on SPF 30+ in the morning then reapply several times a day, I can't help but roll my eyes a little: putting on lotion or creme means taking off all my makeup, then starting over from scratch. Who has time?

So I asked a dermatologist friend her take on the bare minimum SPF I need. Her answer? "At least SPF 15 in the morning. That's easy to do, because many face lotions and even foundations"--like Bare Escentuals, one of my favs--"have at least that much." My friend does think a mid-day reapp is a great idea (especially if you're going to be lunching in the park or anywhere else outdoors, which I plan on doing tomorrow!). A simple way to touch up without taking all the makeup off? Use a powder SPF, like ColoreScience’s Sunforgettable. Now that is a beauty plan I can live with.

No comments: