Friday, September 26, 2008

Hands-free living?


Earlier this week, I read this NY Times article on how hands are the new beauty market with interest. Sure, there's the requisite doctor interviews and product plugs. But there's also this description of hand model Ellen Sirot's hand-protecting regime:

She said she hasn’t cooked, cleaned or held her husband’s hand in a decade. The latter activity would mean keeping her hands below her waist, which would increase blood flow and make veins more apparent.

What price beauty, eh? 

Now, I don't want to give up holding hands with my husband as well as other handed activities (which currently include letting a teething baby gnaw on my fingers), but I do want pretty hands, so I checked out one of the products mentioned: Moisture Jamzz moisturizing gloves. The gloves come in a bevy of sizes and types (for women! for men! for tweens!), with designs ranging from classic white to sexed-up leopard print. With a little spandex added for stretch, the mostly-cotton gloves are part of an easy-peasy, two-step process: lotion up your hands, put on the gloves, and go about your business. 

The designs are cute -- these could make good stocking stuffers for any hand-obsessed friends. And there's a line of socks, for people like me whose hands are fine but whose feet could use a little TLC. Best of all, they're only $12 -- a price I'm very willing to pay!